【Story】Shimanto Hinoki Wood Collection
What is Hinoki Wood?
Hinoki is a type of Japanese Cypress known for its long lasting, antifungal and antibacterial properties. It dries and ages well due to a high oil content and releases a relaxing scent when drying.
History of Hinoki Wood
One can note that the durability of Hinoki is considered as the best in the world. Japan has been using Hinoki as a construction material for temples and shrines since ancient times!
One example is the Horyuji Temple (法隆寺) founded in 607 in Nara, Japan. With a history of 1300 years, it is now the oldest surviving wooden structure in the world.
There is a popular saying that Hinoki wood is stronger than concrete!!
Why is our Hinoki Wood Collection Special??
All of our Hinoki Wood Collection is made from Shimanto Hinoki from Kochi, known for its durable and fine-quality Hinoki. It is also a type of Japanese Cypress prized for its antifungal and antibacterial properties. It dries and ages well due to a high oil content, which also gives the wood elasticity and releases a soothing fragrance.
The benefits of Shimanto Hinoki
1. Durable, very long lasting
2. Contains natural antibacterial, antifungal properties - drains well and dries quickly, making it less ideal for mold and fungi growth
3. High deodorant. Hinoki’s unique scent covers the odor from various foods.
4. Easy to use. Convenient built- in rotating storage stand - simply turn the board upright to keep!
5. Less heavy than a normal cutting board.
Shop our Shimanto Hinoki Wood Collections here…
+ Shimanto Hinoki wood cutting board / 四万十ひのき極め”一枚板”まな板
+ Hinoki Multi-purpose plate / ひのきプレート 白磁
+ Hinoki Multi-purpose ZEN Plate / ひのきプレート 長方形